Another day at work....

Another day at work....
Floating in the elephant pool in my wedding dress

Mr. & Mrs.

Mr. & Mrs.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ostrich Dancing and Morning Feedings w/ the Elands

Today was my first Saturday working at the zoo. Basically just like any other day. It was incredibly hot today- the hottest day this week by far. As you can see from the picture I posted I got to interact for the first time with our eland. All female and all HUGE. Your heart just kind of stops when you are that close to them with no barrier between you and them. The one I am feeding in the picture is named Yellow. Creative, I know. We have yellow, orange and red. After I was done feeding her she kept following me around :) How neat. We also have 2 ostrich we care for. A male and female. The male ostrich, Big Bird, apparently loves me. While we are cleaning the enclosure he follows me (there is a fence inbetween us) down the length of the fence. If I talk to him or face him he drops down and does what is known as the mating dance. I am going to try to figure out how to put a video up on here because it is hilarious. He crouches down, spreads out his wings and sways from side to side. It is the most bizzare thing you would ever see. Such a funny bird. I have 2 more days of work then I fly to Dallas to get my stuff off the train. Yay!