Thursday, July 31, 2008
Giraffe Training & Butt Cleaning
Yes. That pretty much sums up my Thursday. I started the day by spraying what I thought was bug spray all over my skin and clothes. Turned out it was something that was not supposed to touch skin under any circumstances. Whoops. I didn't break out in a rash or burn up so I assume I am not going to lose any skin. Mornings are rough. We did routine clean up and then headed to the giraffe barn. I swear to God there is nothing more amazing then walking into a barn that is 25 feet tall and get greeted by those gentle giants. They just bend their long necks down and give you a love nuzzle to the neck. I love it. We did the same thing we did with the wild dogs. Training them to walk into a crate and have "vet work" performed on them. We obviously didn't do any work but we pretend to. Very neat. Thursday is known as "Fat Thursday". Every Thursday Kroger (a grocery store) delivers all their shelf expired yummy carbs to us....cakes, pies, loaves of bread, twinkies, brownies, muffins, etc. There is probably close to $500 worth of still very tasty food that disappears in a few hours. I took a loaf of bread home today and had a blueberry muffin for breakfast. We have 27 baby guinea fowl in holding right now. Everyday we check on them to make sure none have died, all are healthy and such. They were actually delivered by UPS to the post office. Hah! Anyways, 2 of the chicks have bloody poo which loves to crust on their bottoms. I spent the afternoon using Q-tips to clean their poor bums. What a lovely job. Well, time to shower!
