Saturday, October 4, 2008
Dog Training, Giraffe Pills
The past few days have been a challenge at work. I am now being passed off to give commands to one of the African Wild Dogs, Cleo. It's tough! Before I was just stick feeding her-or "holding" her- while the other people were actually training the dogs. I cue, "up", "down" and "hold". If she obeys, I blow a sharp whistle and feed her a piece of meat. Sounds easy, but it is tough to keep eye contact, give commands with my hands while speaking, and making a small meatball and getting it stuck on the feeding stick every few seconds. A bit overwhelming my first time but it was pretty neat. Damani's wee-wee problem is still going on. No blood since last week but the vet has him on meds- 42 pills a day. God. You think giving your dog one pill a day is tough- try hand feeding 43 big pills to a giraffe. Ugh. It has been hard. We try to make lettuce burritos with the pills wrapped up inside, but he caught onto that quick and learned how to spit them out. We are only half done with his prescription so if you have any suggestions on how to give a giraffe pills please let me know! We joke because it has been like a war zone trying to get them down. We try basically just shoveling as much produce as we can in his face so he doesn't notice, but when he raises his head to eat and discovers a pill he spits all the food out. Which means it drops 16 feet onto our heads. Funny to watch :) Well, 6 more days until I go home!! Can't wait!!!!
