Another day at work....

Another day at work....
Floating in the elephant pool in my wedding dress

Mr. & Mrs.

Mr. & Mrs.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lasik Surgery

Yesterday was not nearly as bad as I had envisioned in my head. My nerves were through the roof. I called my mom on the way to the clinic and she said something along the lines of, "well don't be nervous, you will wake up from the procedure and you will be able to see." I had to remind her that I am AWAKE the entire time they are pointing laser beams at my eye and cutting it open! Once I got to the clinic we did a few more eye tests and they gave me valium to calm me down. I met the doc and he gave me a run through of what was going to happen. Once I was ready, we went into the op room. Doc immediately put eye numbing drops in my eyes. He had me look through one of those machines where they can see your eyes real well and made marks on my eye with a marker. I didn't feel that so I was fine. Then they had me lay on a table and positioned a big machine so it was over my face. They covered up the eye they wern't working on with a big patch. Then it began. The first part of the procedure creates the flap. Doc put a big ring over my exposed eye to prevent it from blinking. Then there was a suction type noise and pressure on my eyeball. I lost sight for about 10 seconds. FREAKY! Once my vision came back they moved to the next eye and made the other flap. Then I had to get up and they walked me to a different table. My vision was all kinds of blurry and foggy. Couldn't see a damn thing. This next part of the procedure is when they use the laser to fix my eyes. It took 8 seconds of laser beams for each eye. They counted down the entire time and there was a clicky noise- almost sounds like someone with really long fingernails tapping fast on a table. During this part I could actually smell my eye ball burning. Yuck. So about 3 minutes of work, $3000 dollars later and I finally have 20/20 vision and I no longer have to deal with dry contacts :) I went home yesterday with lots of medicated eye drops that I will use for the next week. I took a lovely nap with my girls and rested the remaining part of the day. I went back this morning for a checkup. They said everything looks beautiful. They gave me an eye test and I do in fact have perfect vision. Amazing.