Another day at work....

Another day at work....
Floating in the elephant pool in my wedding dress

Mr. & Mrs.

Mr. & Mrs.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Conserving Water

Nashville is short on water. One of our water treatment centers (we only have 2) is completely under water. Residents are under strict rules to conserve water. If we don't, there is a chance we will run out. Many people in bordering cities are already having to boil their water before they drink it because it is unsafe. Here is what I am doing to conserve:

1. Not hosing the giraffe barn everyday. Under normal circumstances, I hose, scrub, re hose and hose again to make my barn spic and span. These days, I do what is called "dry cleaning" where I don't use any water at all. I sweep, shovel and sweep again to make it as nice as possible. I have been dry cleaning for 3 days and on the 4th I hose. This cuts down on water usage significantly.
2. No more dishwasher. I bought paper plates, bowls, coffee cups, cups and silverware.
3. Not drinking tap water. For the first time in I don't even know how long, I'm drinking bottled water.
4. No car washes.
5. Washing my produce in a bowl of water rather then running it under water
6. No more washing my hands with soap and water. Use hand sanitizer instead!
7. Watering my flowers with water collected when it rains.
8. My favorite: "If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down."

:)

Have you donated to Nashville yet? Every dollar helps. In 24 hours, the phone number I posted on my blog the other day, raised $255,000. Keep it coming in.