Another day at work....

Another day at work....
Floating in the elephant pool in my wedding dress

Mr. & Mrs.

Mr. & Mrs.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'm a Runner

I was recently asked by someone, "are you a runner?" and I immediately without hesitation answered "yes." here is the way I see it:

When I first was nuts enough to sign up for the 5k (3.1 miles) back in January I hadn't actually run since freshmen year of high school when I was on the track team. That was TEN years ago! Wow, that just made me feel old. Anyways, so when I started this whole running thing I promised myself to run a few times a week, maybe 2-3 miles max each time. It was never a goal of mine to get past the 5k marker. Running more then that- in the 5+ mile range was simply for other people. As everyone knows since finishing the 5K i was even more nuts and tricked myself into believing that I could actually train myself to run a 1/2 marathon- 13.1 miles. I don't have anyone training me or really telling me what to do, I'm doing this all alone. I've stuck to my training program religiously, with this week being the first time I haven't run on schedule. As I type this I am lying in bed sick as a dog and I haven't run in 4 days. Needless to say, the Catholic guilt is weighing down on me. But back to me being a runner. I think last week when I finished my 8 mile run in well under 2 hours with only 2 short water breaks I really felt like I was a runner. Not many people can run EIGHT MILES! ALL AT ONCE!! I have a long run every Saturday- and each saturday I tack on an extra mile until race day. I started at 2 miles and have increased gradually each week. My stamina and strength improve each week and my body is sculpting into quite the athletic looking body. You can see my 6 pack for the first time since I was 16. Each time I finish one of my long runs I want to shout to everyone how far I just ran. I read in a magazine that once you are able to run 10 miles all at once, you can consider yourself a runner. But I say to hell with that. I'm a runner. I will be ready for my 1/2 marathon (which is exactly 5 weeks away) and I will cross that finish line and feel amazing.

:)